Monday, July 30, 2012

MEATLESS MONDAY 7/30

Most weekends we have a stall at various farmers’ markets around Westchester County. With late July being my favorite part of the summer harvest, this past weekend I made time to do some personal shopping at the Larchmont farmers’ market. Lani’s Farm from Bordentown, New Jersey has an amazing array of heirloom tomatoes. For tonight’s dinner I bought a sampling of at least ten varieties and will be tossing them with torn lemon basil leaves. They also have a wonderful variety of organic salad greens and herbs. I’m going to be preparing a flavorful salad with purslane, which is one of the few vegetables high in Omega 3s, dandelion greens (a natural detoxifier), and chickory. For a main dish, I’m baking a simple ‘souffle’ of summer squash. I like using the globe-shaped zucchini which looks like an avocado. To 1 lb of grated squash, I add 2 cups of cooked spinach, 4 beaten egg whites and parmesan cheese. I bake the mix in a ramekin but it could also be used as filling for a pastry shell. To start the meal, we are having a sparkling cocktail of watermelon and lime juice with a splash of prosecco. Cheers!


Watermelon, Lime Juice and Prosecco Sparkling Cocktail
Marinated Heirloom Tomato Salad with Basil
Summer Squash Souffle with Parmesan Cheese
Purslane, Dandelion and Chickory Salad

No comments:

Post a Comment