Monday, July 23, 2012

MEATLESS MONDAY 7/23

You can get a head start on cooking a Meatless Monday dinner by doing a little bit of advance preparation on a Sunday. Anticipating that time will be short on weekdays, I generally like to do my food shopping early Sunday mornings. Yesterday, I cleaned and chopped the greens that I bought (kale, collard greens, spinach and salad greens) and stored them in quart containers or a ziploc bag for cooking, making juice, or salads later in the week. I also braised half of the kale and collard greens in water, olive oil, lemon and sea salt then let them cool down in the pot and put them away in the refrigerator. They will be added to the black beans I am cooking tonight. Yesterday I also soaked the black beans in a pot of cold water to reduce tonight’s cooking time. Tonight’s dinner includes a family project – making fresh tortillas from masa (corn flour). These are simple to make and my kids enjoy taking part in making them.


Meatless Monday Dinner Menu

Carrot Ginger Soup (this is a soup that we make at Flourish, and is tasty cold or hot)
or
Vegetable Cocktail (a juice of carrots, apple, ginger, parsley, cucumber)

Black Beans with Collards, Kale and Cumin

Fresh Corn Tortillas

Honey Yogurt with Fresh Peaches

No comments:

Post a Comment